Here I am sharing a family favorite – my easy recipe for Mexican Casserole. It only takes minutes to throw together and cooks up into a cheesy, meat and veggie-packed dish that both kids and adults love.
In our family, we love Mexican food. With two Latino parents, I learned early on that good food and family time go hand in hand. My husband grew up in Texas where he learned to enjoy all things Mexican, including dishes like my Mexican casserole. I make casseroles frequently in my home because there are fewer dishes to clean, it makes lots of food, and my family can enjoy leftovers.
A Recipe Perfect for Hispanic Heritage Month
This month is Hispanic Heritage Month and I love that this easy recipe for Mexican Casserole is not only packed with veggies, it pairs perfectly with one of my personal favorites, ice cold Coca-Cola™.
Ingredients for an Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe
This list of ingredients is so easy, you may already have everything you need in your fridge and pantry.
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 1/3 rd of a large white onion (chop it in a food processor)
- 1 pack of Guerrero Tortillas flour tortillas (you will use 4)
- 1 can refried beans (up to 45 ozs.)
- 2 packages of taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or 4 fresh Roma tomatoes)
- 1 package of 4 cups of shredded Colby Jack and Cheddar shredded cheese
- 1 can of non-stick cooking spray
This shop was previously compensated by Collective Bias, INC. and The Coca-Cola Company, all opinions are mine alone. #ServeWithACoke #SoloConCocaCola #CollectiveBias
Directions for an Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a glass baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Add two tortillas to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Add Refried Beans. Once evenly distributed, open the refried beans and spread evenly across flour tortillas. Sprinkle on 1/3rd of the shredded cheese and add another layer of tortilla.
- Use a frying pan to cook the meat. Use a food processor to mince the onion. Add meat and onions to the pan on medium-high heat, stirring often, until meat is cooked through, usually 5-7 minutes.
- Mix taco seasoning with water per directions and then add to meat and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Once cooked through, turn off burner and use a slotted spoon to spoon the meat mixture into the lasagna dish over the tortillas.
- Then sprinkle on the tomatoes and remaining shredded cheese on top, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 -35 minutes.
This dish is hearty and filling. You can add bell peppers, jalapeños and other toppings for more spice. I usually heat enchilada sauce and offer it on the side for those who like their Mexican a little more spicy. Visit the Serve with a Coke site for more great ideas on ways to enjoy easy recipes with refreshing Coca-Cola.
Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe on YouTube
Want to see this tasty dish as it’s made? Check out my YouTube Video:
Where can you find Coke de Mexico, Guerrero Tortillas and fresh produce?
You can find Coke de Mexico at Walmart in the soda aisle. Guerrero Tortillas are located in the hispanic food aisle.
How does your family enjoy Mexican food?
Does your family enjoy Mexican food? What is your favorite Mexican dish? Please leave a comment below, share a recipe idea, and join the conversation. I love hearing from my readers.
YouTube / Blog / Facebook / Pinterest / Twitter /Google + / Bloglovin’/ Instagram
Love easy recipes? – Subscribe today! I blog to encourage moms, offer free preschool tools, and share ideas for family fun. If you enjoy free recipes, printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here:
If you liked this Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe, you may also like (click the image to see the recipe):
|Raspberry Scones||Veggie Casserole||Spring Rolls|
Thanks for being a fan! Do you have a board for delicious recipes, or entertaining on Pinterest? Help spread the word and PIN this post on Pinterest!