What if you want to serve something a little different and extra special? Something really moist. Something with sliced apples all around the edges and a streusel center?
Do you know what makes this Apple Streusel Crumble Coffee Cake so good? It’s a cross between a cake and my mouth-watering apple pie. I tinkered with my crazy good apple pie recipe to create a coffee cake inspired by the flavors of fresh picked apples, praline pecans, crumble topping, and pecan pie. Wait, pecan pie? – How did that get in there? – Well, more on that later…
Apple Streusel Crumble Coffee Cake
Due to some applesauce in the mix, this coffee cake is so moist, so delicious, oh… and don’t forget the streusel. Streusel? Well, why yes, I mean – it IS a coffee cake! I served ours up with some apple-infused iced tea. Can you tell I really like apple flavors?
There are so many yummy ingredients in this rich and moist cake. We may start out with your average cake box mix but our finished product is anything but average. Freshly picked apples, chocolate candies and applesauce all work together to create an amazingly delicious cake. Your guests will talk about the awesomeness of this crazy good cake… and, um, and they’ll ask for more cake.
Ingredients for Apple Streusel Crumble Coffee Cake
Special Baking Gear – This is the baking gear I use and love. You can use all of these items over and over again for all sorts of desserts. Check out how I used a springform pan to make an ice cream cake in five easy steps. Affiliate links to Amazon included for your convenience.
- 9″ Springform Cake Pan – Please do not try to make this cake with a regular cake pan – you’ll make yourself crazy trying to get it out of the pan once baked. A springform pan is the way to go.
- Dessert Decorator Plus – For dispensing iced toppings and decorating cakes (I love mine!)
- Straight Icing Spatula – To release the apples on the edges without destroying the cake (you can coat this in spray oil for a little extra releasing power.)
The Batter – It’s average boxed cake mix with a twist!
- One box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow cake mix
- 1 cup of Motts Applesauce
- 3 eggs
The Topping – Add the topping after 20 minutes of baking
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Quick Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Praline Pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
After the Baking Topping
- 1 Bag of MARS M&Ms Pecan Pie (that’s where the Pecan Pie flavor comes from!)
- You could also top this with any color sprinkles instead of M&Ms if you like
- Store bought cookie icing dispensed from a Dessert Decorator Plus
Directions to create this Apple Streusel Crumble Coffee Cake
Now that we have everything gathered, let’s put this cake together so we can enjoy the aroma of apples, cinnamon, pecans and freshly baked coffee cake as it fills our home. I recommend setting everything out in mixing bowls or measuring bowls to ensure you have all of your ingredients available.
1. Prepare the Cake Batter – Mix your cake mix, 1 cup of applesauce and 3 eggs (the applesauce is a substitute for the oil – you won’t need any oil if you use the applesauce). Coat the bottom of a 9″ Springform Cake Pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter. You will also want to coat the sides as the apples tend to stick after baking. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the Apples – Core and slice your apples, you will probably need 4-6 depending on the size of the apples. Don’t worry about peeling them (it looks better if you leave the peel on). I am using Gala apples for this cake but you can use your favorite variety. You will want to slice your apples into approximately 1/2″ wedges. Gently place your apple slices around the perimeter of your cake pan, peel side facing out. Pour your batter into your cake pan.
3. Prepare the Streusel Filling – Once the batter and apples are resting nicely, gently top it all with your streusel filling ingredients – 1 cup of brown sugar (light or dark) and 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon mixed together. Use your fork to thread the streusel through the existing cake batter. You want dips and threads of streusel mix throughout your cake. Place the cake in your 350 degree oven.
4. Bake your Cake – Place your cake in your 350 degree oven. This cake takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to bake. Remember, this is more than a cake – it’s a cross between a cake and a pie. Due to the juice from the apple slices and the tons of moisture from the apple sauce, this long-baked cake will be the most moist cake you’ve ever baked. Make sure to test your cake before you take it out of the oven. Once a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean your cake is ready to eat. Ovens vary, so start checking your cake for doneness every 10 minutes once you reach a bake time of one hour. But, don’t forget step 5!
5. Prepare the Crumble Topping – Combine the flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, butter or margarine and chopped praline pecans. After the cake has baked for 20 minutes evenly sprinkle the topping on top and allow the cake to finish baking.
6. Allow the cake to cool and add the Candy Topping – Once your cake is completely cool, have a little fun and make it pretty! I added some drizzles of cookie icing to my cake with my Dessert Decorator Plus and topped it with M&M’s Pecan Pie candy pieces. The colors of the candy add a little pizzaz to this extraordinary cake, and no matter what part of the cake you cut into with a fork, you’ll have a delicious mix of apple and candy flavors in every bite.
A few notes on removing the Cake
Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before taking it out of the 9″ Springform Cake Pan. Make sure to use the Straight Icing Spatula to go around the edges of the 9″ Springform Cake Pan before releasing the cake. This will ensure a nice edge to your cake as this super soft cake will want to fall apart at the apple edges.
Enjoy a Season of Baking
There are many ways I love celebrating the holidays, spending time with my family and baking our favorite dishes are definitely on the top of my list. This Apple Streusel Crumble Coffee Cake blends some of my favorite activities – baking and enjoying treats with family. Fresh apples picked during our family’s annual trip to the apple farm and the sweet aroma of baking goodness filling my home make the cooler months of fall and winter extra special for our family.
What’s your favorite baked treat?
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Do you have any special traditions you share with your family during the holidays? Is it baking? Is there a delicious recipe you can’t wait to make each year? Leave a comment below and join the conversation. I always love hearing from my readers.
P.S. – I blog to encourage moms, offer free preschool tools, and share ideas for family fun. If you enjoy free recipes, printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here:
If you liked this recipe for my Apple Streusel Crumble Coffee Cake, you may also like:
|Tequila Lime Chicken||Perfect Chocolate Cake|