Here I’ll share an easy 5 step recipe for creating your own ice cream cake at home, plus I’ll share a fun free Olympics themed printable pack with 30 fun activities for kids to inspire play with summertime sports. I’ll also share information about the Share the Funshine Sweepstakes that includes $100 gift card giveaways all summer long.
This easy recipe for ice cream cake can be created in just five steps when you use 2 boxes of M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches 6-pack. I created the Olympic rings and decorative sides using a Skittles® 14 oz. bag and a few blue M&M’s® from an ®M&M’s® Plain 42 oz. Bag. The only special equipment you’ll need is a springform pan.
This ice cream cake is perfect for birthday parties, graduations, holidays and special occasions. Compared to ready-made store bought cakes, this ice cream cake is easily 1/3rd of the cost.
5 Step Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Just think of all the possibilities for creating summertime fun with this easy ice cream cake recipe. Whipped cream can be dyed to any color and with some Skittles® and M&M’s® you can decorate this cake to match any theme. If you have 15 minutes to assemble and 15 minutes to decorate you’ll save money, and be able to create an easily customized ice cream cake for the ice cream lovers in your family. Total prep takes about 2 1/2 hours since you’ll also need to freeze this cake in-between assembly and decorating.
This shop was previously compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShareFunshine #CollectiveBias.
I was inspired to create an Olympics themed cake based upon all the wonderful fun summertime sports families can enjoy during the summer. Why not create a backyard Olympics with some fun and crazy games and activities for families to enjoy and serve up some ice cream cake to beat the summertime heat? It will create family fun memories for years to come.
Share the Funshine Sweepstakes
Walmart is so excited about helping families create and share summertime fun that they are sponsoring a Share the Funshine Sweepstakes. They are giving away $100 gift cards for every day of summer. Would you like to enter to win a $100 gift card? Simply enter below.
The contest starts May 16, 2015 and ends September 12, 2015. For official rules click here: Share a Little Funshine Official Rules.
Click here to receive instant savings on M&M’s®, SNICKERS® Ice Cream Bars, Dr Pepper® Cherry, Skittles®, Pedigree Dentastix®! If you have a minute, leave a comment, I’d love to hear your favorite ideas for making summer FUN! Download the Blippar app from your Apple or Android store to scan your Funshine package and receive exclusive content.
FREE Olympic Themed Printables with 30 Fun Activities for Kids
I created a fun Olympics themed summer sports printable pack wih:
- 12 Coloring Pages – a great way to learn about some of the Summertime Sports played at the Olympics
- 2 Match the Sport Pages
- 2 Solve the Problem Pages
- 6 Puzzle Pages
- 4 Trace the Path Pages
- 4 Do-a-Dot pages – worksheets to improve fine motor skills
Ingredients for 5 Step Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
- 2 Boxes of M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches 6-pack
- Skittles® 14 oz. bag
- a few blue M&M’s® from an ®M&M’s® Plain 42 oz. Bag
- 1 Large tub of whipped cream – refrigerated
- 1 Canister of whipped cream
- 1 9-inch Springform pan
- 1 Spatula
Directions for Ice Cream Cake Recipe in 5 easy steps:
- Cut and Assemble your Ice Cream Cake. – I used all six M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches to create my first layer. I had to cut some of the M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches into smaller pieces to fit them in-between the gaps.Once you’ve filled the bottom of the pan with M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches, fill in any gaps using whipped cream. You can use either the spray canister or your spatula dipped into the tub of whipped cream to complete this step. You’ll cut and assemble your second layer using the same technique.Again, fill in the gaps with whipped cream and flatten with a spatula.
Frost the top with a thick layer of whipped cream.
- Freeze the cake. – At any point, if you feel like your ice cream cake is defrosting, simply put it in the freezer for up to an hour to ensure it gets nice and firm again. I knew I wanted my whipped cream to be frozen before I finished frosting the sides of the cake, so I placed mine in the freezer so I could take care of a few errands. I returned to finish frosting and decorating a few hours later.
- Frost the sides of the Ice Cream Cake. – You can dye your whipped cream to any color using food coloring. For our Olympic cake, I left our whipped cream white. You’ll want to work with a frozen cake and whipped cream that has been refrigerated. A springform pan is key in this recipe since it allows you to stack and assemble the layers and freeze everything into the form of a cake. Release the springform pan and gently remove the cake.Once the cake has been removed from the pan it will look similar to the photo below. I did not remove the bottom metal piece of my springform pan from the cake, I left it on the bottom for stability.Using a flat spatula, frost the sides of the ice cream cake with cool whipped cream.
- Freeze the frosted cake. Since I planned to decorate both the top and sides of my cake, I placed both the cake and Skittles® candies in the freezer.
- Decorate the Ice Cream Cake – I used a circle cookie cutter to make five circles in the whipped cream frosting of the cake. One circle for each of the Olympic rings. There are five colorful rings representing the Olympics. I used Skittles® candies for every color except blue. I used M&Ms® plain chocolate candies for the blue Olympic ring.
Where to find the Ingredients for this 5 Step Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe
I found all of the ingredients for this easy Ice Cream cake recipe at Walmart. You can find the candies in the candy aisle and the M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches 6-pack in the frozen ice cream section.
More Share the Funshine Fun with Coupons and Giveaways
When you follow the Share the Funshine link you’ll be introduced to the terms and conditions of the giveaway.
Once you accept the terms you’ll go to the Funshine home page where you can enter the giveaway AND download some great coupons on Funshine products. Coupons include:
- Visit Share the Funshine and save $1.00 off any (2) M&M’s® Chocolate Candies 9.4 oz or larger
- Visit Share the Funshine and save $1.00 on TWO (2) 2-liter bottles of 12-pack cans of any flavor* Dr Pepper® (Reg., TEN, or Diet)
- Visit Share the Funshine and save $1.50 off any (2) novelties
- Visit Share the Funshine and save $0.75 off any ONE (1) PEDIGREE® DENTASTIX® Treats For Dogs
How do you celebrate summer?
Hosting a backyard summer Olympics? How about a summer BBQ with friends? How do you plan to celebrate summer? Please leave a comment below and join the summer-planning fun. I love hearing from my readers!
P.S. – I blog to encourage moms, offer free preschool tools, and share ideas for family fun. If you enjoy free recipes, printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here:
Thanks for being a fan! Do you have a board for fun kid’s activities or easy recipes on Pinterest? Help spread the word and PIN this post on Pinterest. I’ve got two great graphics below – one for the ice cream cake recipe and the other for the fun free Olympics printables. Pin your favorite or pin both! Thank you.
Originally Posted: May 18, 2015 @ 12:35