Cut Kid Clutter
If you would like to cut the clutter and clean out kids’ toys, used clothing, and furniture, this article is for you. You can even consign curriculum items – great news for educators. Every Spring and Fall the Just Between Franchise (JBF) hosts Consignment Sales all across the country. Shoppers can save 50-90% off retail. Their motto:
“Friends don’t let friends pay retail.”
Find a JBF near you. Just follow this link Just Between Friends Online to search for a JBF in your area,
Just Between Friends
The JBF consignment sale organizers and volunteers work incredibly hard to promote the sale, gather parents in the community, and organize tons of gently used merchandise to offer tremendous savings on baby gear, children’s toys and clothes, maternity items, nursery items, books, homeschool curriculum, toys, shoes, clothes, furniture, DVDS, strollers, car-seats and more.
In our community, the leader of the JBF sale is: Laura Skaggs. Previously Melissa and Lynn ran JBF and I decided to ask Lynn a few questions about how to prepare items for consignment and how to price items for a quick resale. She offered some great tips and a few free downloadable handouts. You can follow these guidelines to ensure the best possible return on your sale items.
6 Essential Steps to Prepare and Price Items for a Consignment Sale
1. Clean out closets, drawers, garage
2. Wash clothing, check for stains/damage & clean non-clothing items, check for missing pieces
3. Check for recalls at www.cpsc.gov or use JBF Colorado Springs website for current Recalls
4. Hang clothing items in outfits/sets & bag or tie non-hanging items
5. Price items online, print & sort tags
6. Attach tags to items & sort for Drop Off
Download a PDF Handout with Helpful Tips to Prepare for JBF:
Tips for Hanging and Pricing Consignment Sale Items
- Hanging Clothing Items
- Prepping – Hang on child size (or regular size if teen/maternity) hanger with hook facing left (like a question mark); Attach multiple items together with safety pins so that pieces cannot be separated
- Pricing – Put outfits/set together to price for at least $2.00; Start at $2 for basic, generic brand 0-24mo outfit; Add $1 each for larger size, name brand, formal, heavy/winter
- Non-Hanging Clothing Items
- Prepping – Attach sets of items (for example, 3 onesies or 6 pairs socks) together with safety pins (be sure multiple pieces cannot be separated) and place in clear self-seal bag
- Pricing – Put sets together to price for at least $2.00, but okay to price for less (i.e., 6 pair socks for $1.50)
- Prepping – Attach pair together using string, twine, ribbon or zip-tie; Put infant shoes in clear self-seal bag
- Pricing – Shoes must be in gently used condition and priced approx. 1/3 of what was paid for them
- Bedding, Blankets, Towels, Etc.
- Prepping – Put bedding/crib/bedroom sets together in giant clear bag; Bundle blankets/cloths/towels with ribbon/string (be sure multiple pieces cannot be separated)
- Pricing – Price to sell! Shoppers are less likely to purchase these items used, so prices have to be low. Try to price approx. 65-80% off retail. Allow to reduce 50%.
- Bags, Carriers and Pumps
- Prepping – Bags and pumps will be zip-tied to display for security (look for appropriate location at Drop Off); All other items should be hung on adult size hanger.
- Pricing – Hole-punch JBF tag and attach it to item with ribbon or string; If item contains multiple pieces, be sure all pieces are included and list number of items on JBF tag description
- Infant Items
- Prepping – If item has multiple pieces use packaging tape, tagging gun, safety pins or clear self-seal bags to keep items attached together; Batteries must be included
- Pricing – Attach JBF tag directly to item or clear self-seal bag with clear packaging tape or hole-punch JBF tag and tie it to item
- Equipment, Furniture
- Prepping – Use clear self-seal bags to keep loose/small items together; Use packaging tape, zip-ties, or string to keep items attached together; Batteries must be included.
- Pricing – Attach JBF tag directly to item with clear packaging tape or hole-punch JBF tag and tie it to item.
- Books, Games, DVDs
- Prepping – Use clear self-seal bags or clear cling wrap (saran wrap) to hold multiple items together; Tie sets of books together with ribbon/string. Use Scotch tape to apply tags to books.
- Pricing – Prices can range from $.50 to $50 in this category, depending on the item. Price to sell especially for books & DVDs as there are always lots to choose from at the sale!
- Prepping – The goal is to keep pieces together and be sure shoppers can see item clearly (items with missing pieces will not be sold)
- Pricing – The goal is to price so that shoppers know they are getting a great deal. Allowing your item to be sold at 50% off on Saturday is highly encouraged. Shoppers are looking for half-price items on Saturday; give your item a chance to sell.
Download a PDF Handout with Helpful Tips for Prepping and Pricing Items for JBF:
More Tips on how to Make or Save Money at Consignment Sales
Want to shop or sell at a consignment store or JBF event? You’ll love these articles:
Consign at a Just Between Friends Sale to Make and Save Money: includes tips on how to save the most money at a consignment sale as well as tips on how to make the most money from selling consignment items.
How to Price Items for a Quick Sale on Consignment – Tips on how to competitively price your items.
Where to find a JBF Sale in your Area
If you’d like to learn more about how to volunteer or where to locate a JBF sale in your area click on one of the following links:
- Just Between Friends Event Locator
- Sign-up to be a Just Between Friends Volunteer
- Franchise Ownership Benefits
How do you up-cycle kid’s clothes and toys?
Does your family recycle kid’s clothes? How does your community come together to offer affordable up-cycled options for families? Please leave a comment below and join the conversation. I love hearing from my readers!
P.S. – I blog to encourage moms, offer free preschool tools, and share ideas for family fun. If you enjoy free recipes, printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here: