This post is brought to you in collaboration with the Acorn Influencer Network and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OuibyYoplait. Here I’ll share 5 Ways Rest can Make you A Better Mom. With insight from online research and tips from a mom who’s been down the “rest-deprived” road before.
As a mom, it’s so easy to get wrapped up in all the things there are to do. There’s always housework, grocery shopping, laundry, things my kids need, and the things my husband has asked me to do. But I’ve learned, over time, and through trial and error, that my body truly needs rest to keep me operating at the proper speed.
5 Ways Rest can Make You a Better Mom
These are 5 Ways Rest can make you a Better Mom; and if someone in the family asks why you’ve shut down for rest, you can help them understand that they need rest too, and here is why…
- Mental Breaks Increase Productivity – According to Scientific American, – the time you take for a mental break will actually increase your productivity. Your mind, just like your muscles, needs downtime to rest between bursts of activity. When you give it the rest it needs you actually increase your ability to be more productive.
- Rest Helps you Replenish Attention – Have you ever noticed one of your kids trying to tell you something but you are so focused on other things that you miss what they are saying? [It happens to me too!] You need to give your brain a rest. One of the ways I build margin into my life is to get things set the night before. Sometimes I cook double to have leftovers for the next day, or I refrigerate extras to build more margin into our family’s schedule. When you plan a tiny bit ahead you can build margin into your day so you can take moments of rest in-between activities and connect with your kids. You’ll be better able to adapt to what’s on hand in the moment and you’ll be teaching your kids a pattern of proper rest and planning ahead too. I may not always have a park bench to sit on and enjoy the silence, but I can find a few moments to sit at the window seat and enjoy a new sweet treat like Oui. More on this delicious new French-style yogurt below.
- Rest Helps you Solidify Memories – Have you ever seen your kids do something so adorable you just want to etch a picture of it in your mind of it forever? Take a moment of rest that day and replay the events in your mind. It increases joy, improves your memory, and helps you cherish the special moments that happen every day.
- Rest Encourages Creativity – When you give your mind a chance to rest, you give your subconscious mind and your conscious mind a chance to exchange thoughts and insights – this often results in greater creativity and the capacity to problem solve. Here you can watch as I creatively figure out how I’m going to get everything done for the day… Of course, I’m enjoying a bit of rest on our breakfast area window seat with the sweet retreat of Oui.
- Rest gives you a Mental Edge – According to Dean Karnazes, a superstar athlete and bestselling author, rest for your mind gives you a mental edge in life. It’s hard sometimes to build rest into one’s day, but one of the ways I do it is to say “no” to extras. Does the bake sale need volunteers on Sunday? “No – sorry, that’s a day of rest for us, but I’m happy to send a batch of cookies.” Saying “no” to the things I have little time to support, let’s me say “yes” to the things that really matter – like more time with my family.
Where to find Oui
I found this thick and creamy Oui yogurt, the perfect way to enjoy a moment of rest, at Walmart in the dairy section. Pictured here in our shopping cart. 😉 Oui by Yoplait, is an all-new French style yogurt.
With its unique, thick and creamy texture and subtly sweet fresh taste, Oui brings a sweet and smooth break from the business of the everyday. It’s available in eight single-serve flavors (Strawberry, Vanilla, Blueberry, Peach, Black Cherry, Coconut, Lemon, and Plain) and two multi pack flavors (Strawberry and Vanilla). It’s made with non-GMO ingredients like whole milk and real fruit poured and set in each glass container. The perfect size for a midday snack.
Looking for More Ideas to Build Rest into your Routine?
These things have helped me in the past and continue to help me still. Journaling, reading, meditating, or just listening to some soft lovely music. Allow yourself to find renewal in peace and quiet. Spend at least a half-hour a day (even if it’s just in three, ten-minute spurts) to enjoy complete down time. Unplug. No screen time to distract you.
There, now don’t you feel better? Now, go plan a day with breaks of rest. 😉
What’s Your Favorite Way to Build in Rest?
How do you add margin to your day and build in rest? I’m always looking for new ideas. Leave your thoughts and join the conversation and community online. We’d love to hear from you.
P.S. – I blog to encourage moms, offer free preschool tools, and share ideas for family fun. If you enjoy free recipes, printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here: