Hosting a summer BBQ, Memorial Day Party, or 4th of July get-together? You’ll love this easy-to-make Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs Recipe. This dough is flavored with a popular soda pop and tastes mildly sweet, but you can use any soft drink – just pick your favorite.
I love, love, love the soft, chewy, and mildly toasted flavor of these pretzel hot dogs. No more dried out hot dog buns and no need to worry that kids will spill their hot dogs out of the buns. Save time and messes by serving up these Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs instead of traditional hot dogs on bread. Your family will thank you.
Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs Recipe – A Recipe with Options
The wonderful thing about this recipe is it’s versatility. You can customize your Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs to accommodate everyone’s favorite toppings. Save time in the kitchen by creating these Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs for the entire family and just add the toppings according to each person’s taste. No need to play short order cook. The soft, chewy pretzel dough and juicy hot dog is versatile enough that you can top it with salt or cinnamon sugar; or savory chip flavors like BBQ sauce, and/or Sour Cream and Onion.
Memorial Day Picnic or 4th of July BBQ?
Not your ordinary backyard BBQ? Hosting a outdoor party with a patriotic theme? This Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs Recipe creates the perfect party food.
You can easily decorate these Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs with red, white and blue sprinkles for some 4th of July or Memorial Day fun. It’s so easy to customize these dogs. Friends and family will love how you created a dish that compliments nearly any color theme or holiday. Great for kid’s birthday parties or summertime get-togethers. These Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs will be a hit!
Keep it simple or top it with flavor — how you serve up these Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs is up to you!
To create these Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs you’ll need a few simple ingredients. This recipe makes enough for six spiral hot dogs. To make more, just double the recipe. You will not need to double the baking soda and water though since it’s just just for coating the pretzel hot dogs.
Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs Recipe
- 1 6-8 Pack of hot dogs
- 2 1/4 Cups of Flour
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons of Dry Active Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite soft drink
- 1 Non-stick cooking spray can to coat mixing bowl after dough is mixed
- 4 Tablespoons of baking soda
- 4 Cups hot tap water
- 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Cups crushed Lay’s® Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips
- 2 Cups crushed Lay’s® Barbecue Potato Chips
- Any other desired toppings – like red, white and blue sprinkles
Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs Recipe Directions
- Heat oven and warm up the Hot Dogs. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place hot dogs in a heat proof container and cover completely with very hot tap water. Allow hot dogs to sit for 4-5 minutes, then dry them off. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray for baking.
- Activate the Dry Yeast – To activate the Dry Yeast, sprinkle the yeast onto the 1 1/2 cups of soft drink beverage and allow it to sit for five minutes. After five minutes, stir in the yeast until it is evenly distributed in thesoft drink beverage.
- Mix the Dough – Add the yeast/soft drink beverage mixture to the flour and stir. Once combined, take the dough out of the bowl and knead it on a clean countertop until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky. Form the dough into a ball and place it back inside a greased mixing bowl and cover with saran wrap to “rest” for 1/2 an hour.
- Roll the Dough – This recipe makes 6 hot dog pretzel rolls. Divide the dough into six even chunks. Use two hands to roll the dough into long ropes about the diameter of your index finger. You’ll want each rope to be about 22 inches long. You can trim off any excess, or roll the dough thinner if you need a longer pretzel rope.
- Wrap the Hot Dog in a Spiral – Gently roll the hot dog over the rope until the entire hot dog is wrapped in a spiral fashion with the pretzel rope. Use your fingertips to gently press the pretzel dough against the top and bottom of the hot dog to secure the ends. Leave about 1/2 an inch of the hot dog exposed on each end.
- Drench the Spiral Hot Dogs – In a large pot, add four cups of hot tap water. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot tap water – do not boil. Once mostly dissolved, dunk the spiral wrapped pretzel hot dogs briefly into the baking soda/water mix, one at a time — coating the pretzel dough and hot dogs. You do not want to soak the pretzel dough and dogs, you only want to coat the exterior with the baking soda and water mix. Pat any excess wetness with a paper towel.
- Bake the Hot Dogs – These bake quickly – you’ll want to stay in the kitchen. Bake each side (top and bottom) for four to six minutes per side or until the dough is cooked through and the hot dog is 165 degrees inside. Keep an eye on things to ensure the dough does not burn.
- Toppings are Optional – If your guests enjoy savory flavors, you can easily add toppings by basting the outside of the pretzel dough with melted butter. 20-30 seconds in the microwave will melt the butter.
Once coated in butter, sprinkle or roll on some crunchy toppings like Lay’s® Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips or Lay’s® Barbecue Potato Chips.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy summer?
Are you hosting a summer cookout or backyard bash? What are your summertime time saving tips for families? I’m always looking for fresh new ideas! Please leave a comment below and join the conversation. I love hearing from my readers.
P.S. – I blog to encourage moms, offer free preschool tools, and share ideas for family fun. If you enjoy free recipes, printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here:
If you liked this Spiral Pretzel Hot Dogs Recipe, you may also like:
|Tequila Lime Chicken||Pulled Pork||