This week red building blocks were a big hit and my two year old thought a rhinoceros was a dinosaur. We’re on the letter “R” in our learn to read series. This week the Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter R free printable pack includes over 30 activities for preschoolers with over 50 printable pages. You can create sensory play with rice, make homemade robots, run races and so much more!
If you’d like to see what we did last year including a table set-up for sensory items and activities for little ones for ages 22-40 months go to the post: Letter R. If this is the first time you’ve been to Happy and Blessed Home, make sure to check out my home page. There you’ll see headlines that will take you straight to a TON of other resources including even more free printables.
Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter R
If you would like to assess your preschooler’s readiness in the area of reading, I have a free chart in my post, Advancing Preschool Reading Behaviors. If you have a preschooler who knows their ABCs and who has expressed an interest in reading, this series of posts will be perfect for you. We’re on a journey to learn to read short words from either the list of Dolch sight words or short words that are easily represented with pictures. If you like this post, please PIN it on PINTEREST.
Just in case 30 preschool activities are not enough to get you through the week, I found some fun things online and pinned them on Pinterest. Follow me on Pinterest if you want to get copied on all the resources and ideas that I discover.
To help support the design and hosting of this blog I include affiliate links in my posts. My hope is that you’ll become a fan of Happy and Blessed Home and use these links when you can. Your support helps me produce free printables and helps me stay online.
Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter R
We start our preschool day with our preschool Morning Board. You can follow the links to access about half of the printables online for FREE. The other half are for subscribers only and as a subscriber you have many of the morning board printables at the bottom of your RSS feed. Click the links for the printables. For a complete list of our morning board printables click here: Morning Board.
This week we started our letter R study starts with sensory play. Print out the letter R and cut to fit into the bottom of a cake pan. Pour a thin layer of rice over the letter and ask your child to find the letter under the rice and then trace it. It makes for great fun and is a wonderful sensory exercise. The entire pdf file of 50+ pages and 30+ activities includes:
- 6 Coloring Pages
- 1 Connect the Rhinos
- 5 Tracing Pages
- Robot Puzzle Craft
- Reindeer Puzzle Craft
- Radio Lace-Up Card
- Cutting Practice
- Align and Count
- Counting and Organizing Rhinos
- 20 flashcards with short words that start in “Rr”
- 6 Do-a-dot Pages
- Flashcards with letter “Rr” sight words
A heavy emphasis is being placed on reading in our preschool at home efforts. If you’re looking for tools to complement the study on the letter “R”, I recommend:
- Letter Construction Kit – My boys love the way this kit turns alphabet letters into giant puzzle pieces. The pieces are sturdy, slightly transparent and snap together. I love how this set gets my boys interested in constructing letters – its a great way to learn and play at the same time.
- Big Box of Little Word Puzzles– You may also notice these three-letter puzzles in some of the photographs I’ve posted. These are a fantastic way to introduce the concept of spelling as well as word/picture recognition. My eldest took one of these off the table, the one for “rug”, and started disassembling and reassembling it right away.
- LeapFrog Fridge Phonics – My boys love to play with this set of letters. You place the letter into the “sun” and the “sun” recognizes the letter and says “R says rrrrugh, every letter makes a sound R says rrrrugh.” You can still find these fridge phonics as used items on Amazon and eBay. If you don’t want to pay the higher “novelty” price, you can get LeapFrog’s Alphabet Factory letter set (less than $20 last I checked).
In my downloadable FREE printables you’ll find flashcards for 20 words with pictures as well as sight words for your preschooler. For information about what sight words are appropriate for pre-K, kindergarten and up through grade 3, please see my post, sight words.
To supplement our letter R activities for the week, I also use God’s Little Explorers. Our letter R coincides with week 9 in GLE. In God’s Little Explorer’s the bible story for the week of letter R study is the story of David and Goliath – from 1 Samuel 17. In the story, a young small boy named David defeats a giant nine feet tall. To emphasize the story, Stacie suggests drawing a face on a paper plate a placing it up on the wall nine feet from the ground (you may need to do this outside on a tree) to show your child how tall Goliath was. This is a great way to teach young children about height and size as well as a famous Bible story. Stacie has some wonderful ideas. Click here to learn more about God’s Little Explorers.
Our set-up for crafts is at a Mickey and Friends Activity Table. It’s perfect for preschoolers with an easily accessible table and chair height. For our lesson materials I use a Board Dudes 18″ x 22″ Magnetic Dry Erase Board. It’s a great way to display our flashcards so that I can review them with my eldest.
The Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter R Printable Pack includes coloring pages and do-a-dot pages. Coloring is a great way to foster concentration and teach creativity. Do-a-dot pages can be completed with paints, markers, crayons, stickers, cotton-balls, and other arts and crafts supplies.
This printable pack includes loads of colorful rhinos. These are great for counting, matching, sorting and more. You can also use them in safari scene printable for fun math games.
As I mentioned there are at least 30 activities in the FREE Letter R Preschool Activity Pack. I am designing these printable packs to be just for subscribers, but these first few letters are available for anyone reading this blog so that you can see what to expect from Happy and Blessed Home.
Letters available for anyone reading the HappyandBlessedHome.com blog:
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter A
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter B
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter C
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter F
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter H
Additional letters available only for subscribers:
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter D
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter E
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter G
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter I
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter J
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter K
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter L
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter M
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter N
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter O
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter P
- Learn to Read Preschool Alphabet Letter Q
As I am trying to build a relationship with my readers, the Letter R Preschool Activity pack is for subscribers. Subscribers – you will find a link to these printables in the footer of your e-mail from Happy and Blessed Home.
If you enjoy free printables, crafts and games for little ones, ideas for family fun and encouraging posts for moms, sign up and have Happy and Blessed Home delivered to your inbox. Simply enter your e-mail address here:
I hope you’ll join us and follow along as we journey through the alphabet and learn to read. Thanks for being a Happy and Blessed Home fan and if you’re using these printables and are enjoying them, please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you!
In His Grip,
If you like my blog please like my Facebook page at: HappyAndBlessedHome – thanks so much! Facebook likers also get a copy of my FREE Spring Inspired Wall Art.
I link up to a bunch of link parties every week. Click on Link Parties and you can add your party or find one to visit every day of the week.
A few fun pics:
Look mommy – the letter “R”
The red blocks were a big hit!